Max Pechstein PortraitPechstein was born in Zwickau, the son of a craftsman who worked in a textile mill. Early contact with the art of Vincent van Gogh stimulated Pechstein's development toward expressionism. After studying art first at the School of Applied Arts and then at the Royal Art Academy in Dresden, Pechstein met Erich Heckel and joined the art group Die Brücke in 1906. He was the only member to have formal art training. Later in Berlin, he helped to found the Neue Sezession and gained recognition for his decorative and colorful paintings that were lent from the ideas of Van Gogh, Matisse, and the Fauves. His paintings eventually became more primitivist, incorporating thick black lines and angular figures.

From 1933, Pechstein was vilified by the Nazis because of his art. A total of 326 of his paintings were removed from German museums. Sixteen of his works were displayed in the Entartete Kunst (Degenerate Art) exhibition of 1937. During this time, Pechstein went into seclusion in rural Pomerania.

He was a prolific printmaker, producing lithographs, woodcuts and linocuts, and 1intaglio prints, mostly etchings. Pechstein was a professor at the Berlin Academy for ten years before his dismissal by the Nazis in 1933. He was reinstated in 1945, and subsequently won numerous titles and awards for his work.
 
SIGN UP FOR GOLDMARK NEWS >

Keep up to date with our exhibitions, music events and news
CUSTOMER SERVICES >

Relax and buy with confidence

FOLLOW GOLDMARK

facebook twitter instagram pintrest google youtube
Goldmark Gallery, 14 Orange Street, Uppingham, Rutland, LE15 9SQ, UK
+44 (0) 1572 821424
Monday to Saturday 9.30am - 5.30pm, Sunday 11.00am - 4.00pm